Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Bold Botanicals

Howdy Blog Hoppers, welcome to the April Club Scrap Blog Hop featuring the Botanicals kit!
You've just hopped from Hetty's Blog and if you want to check out all the project this month be sure to stop by The Club Scrap Blog.  Now that we have that out of the way we can skip right to my finished project this month...
I know right???  Super cool!  So let's learn a little about this card and the process.

First we are going to have a little lesson in German (this is a bonus today, you had no idea you would be learning German did you?)  The art of cutting paper is called Scherenschnitte.  It translates loosely from German as "scissor cuts".  I started playing with this 16th century art a few years ago when I was decorating my kitchen and I created these...
I was struck by the QDDLs that Ron posted in his blog post here.  I loved the black and white of the flowers and how well it popped.

To create this card first grab your stamp, some embossing ink, black embossing powder and some thick glossy paper.  I used some from the Retreat 2008 Life's A Stage kit.  Thick is best for cutting and the glossy I think embosses best.
Stamp and emboss your image (do it a couple times if you are kind of stamping and embossing challenged.)

Pick the one that ended up the best.  If you have a small light spot it can easily be fixed later with a permanent marker.  Just grab your craft knife and start cutting...
I found as I went that it was a little better to cut out the smaller areas first.  Leave the image as large as possible until you are finished.  About 30 minutes and some sore fingers later you have this...


(Yes that is actual Earth and Herbs Club Scrap paper from 2002.)  Mount your artwork with black pop dots on the printed paper and then I used a sheet of Textiles and Notions purple.

I was pretty pleased with the end result and don't tell anyone but I think it would make a great Mother's Day card for my mom!

Thanks for hopping by today and hop along to Debby's Blog.

Oh and before I forget...
AJ is very excited about next months' kit The Blues!  Can't you tell?






25 comments:

  1. Just lovely and it looks like AJ approves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Scherenschnitte! You rocked the embossing part, too! I can certainly tell AJ is thrilled about the next pizza box arrival. (But just the box.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, Janet you are quite talented and I have never heard of this German technique before. I think I need to learn more and your lighthouses are AMAZING! Really great technique and super job with the cutting of the stamped image well done!!! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet - I am so impressed! I had no idea you were a Queen of the Crafting Knife! Really cool idea,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cool. I used to do Scherenschnitte, years ago and that is what it was called in the scrapbooking magazines. Now, I will cut but not so detailed. LOL! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In awe of your craft knife skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is really beautiful! You have skillz, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting use of black color with this beautiful image - i like it very much, Thanks, Denise Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great way of using the stamp. That card came out beautiful. Thanks for sharing how you did this.
    Like your kitchen decoration too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi to AJ - he's so cute! Love the cut out idea (I don't think I can spell the German word). Your kitchen decor is really stunning! Have a great day Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet...Wow! You've been hiding some skills from the rest of us! Love your lighthouses also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Now I'll have to pull out my Scherenschnitte stuff. Like I'll have time. :) AJ looks laid back and ready to sing the Blues to me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooooohhhhh, aaaaaaahhhhh....that's exactly what I was thinking while I was reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! I would have lost at least one finger in this process. Congrats on no blood loss! Amazing card, mom is one lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful artwork, Janet! You must be very patient to do the Scherenschnitte!!! Amazing!!! ANd I love your kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this project - the black really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your wall and art this beautiful card. I am sure your mom will love it, too! We won't tell!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! I had no idea about this hidden talent of yours. Your kitchen artwork is stunning, and I just love how your Botanicals card turned out. (Thanks for the blast from the past Earth & Herbs paper peek!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful card and you win the fuzzy cutter of the year award! Love it and extremely impressed with your cutting skills!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Great cutting....beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete